Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Kk is not for kleenex

Okay, kids . . . you call Kleenex tissues and I call tissues Kleenex. It's quite a conundrum (which also does not begin with the letter "Kk") . . . so let's forget all that and say:

Kk is for kindergarten!

I have never been a kindergarten student, but as the mother of five former kindergarten students and the grandmother of two current kindergarten students, I know that kids get pretty excited about going to kindergarten. Once upon a time I knew a girl who was so excited to go to kindergarten that she started asking about it when she was only two or three years old. I tried to tell her that she had to wait until she was five years old, but that seemed too far away. So I decided to make her a little backpack and give her a toy lunchbox for her 4th birthday. Unfortunately since her birthday was right around the first day of a new school year she thought that meant she could go to school that year. Afterall, she knew the way she told me. I was so afraid that she might try "running away" to school with her two big sisters that I told her that she got to stay home and have kindergarten with me!

Thus, I became a "kindergarten" teacher and every morning for one school year my student and I read books, sang songs, and created craft projects around themes like animals, colors,counting, the alphabet, etc. . . Apparently I was such a good kindergarten teacher that my little student grew up to become a real kindergarten teacher! Can you guess which one of your aunts/mommies my student was? While you're thinking about it, here are a couple kindergarten books you might like to check out: "The Twelve Days of Kindergarten"

by Deborah Lee Rose

a counting story sort of like the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas"


"Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten"


by Joseph Slate


about a kindergarten teacher who has 26 students . . . one for each letter of the alphabet!


Happy Kindergarten Days!


Love, Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment